Home | Text Size | Search | Member Area
 Alzheimers Disease
 Assessment Tools
 Assisted Living
 At Home Care
 Caregiver Support
 Continuing Care
 Day Care
 Death & Funerals
 Drugs & Medications
 Featured Articles
 Featured Resources
 Financial Facts
 Legal Issues
 Moving & Relocation
 Nursing Homes
 Odds & Ends
 Social Security
 Tools, Logs & Forms
 Veterans' Benefits

 Other Sites We Like
 Senior Corner Store
 Text Size
Subscribe to our RSS Feed
 About this Site
 About This Site
 Contact Us
 Privacy Policy
home | Veterans' Benefits | VA Grants for Disability Home Improv . . .

VA Grants for Disability Home Improvements

Printer-Friendly Format

The Department of Veterans Affairs has three programs that give cash grants to qualified veterans with disabilities for both safety improvements in the home they already occupy, or for new disability-accessible home construction:

The Home Improvements and Structural Alterations (HISA) grant can be used for any home improvement necessary for the continuation of treatment or for disability access to the home and essential lavatory and sanitary facilities. Among the improvements a HISA Grant will cover are

• Allowing entrance or exit from veteran's home;
• Improving access for use of essential lavatory and 
  sanitary facilities;
• Improving access to kitchen and bathroom counters;
• Handrails and grab rails;
• Lowered Electrical outlets and switches;
• Improving paths or driveways;
• Improving plumbing and electrical work for dialysis patients 

A HISA grant is available to veterans who have received a medical determination indicating that improvements and structural alterations are necessary or appropriate for the effective and economical treatment of a disability. A veteran may receive both a HISA grant and either a Special Home Adaptation (SHA) grant (below) or a Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grant (below).

Home improvement benefits up to $4,100 are available to veterans with a service-connected disability, and up to $1,200 is available to veterans with non-service-related disabilities.

More information is available in the VA HISA brochure

The Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Grant can be used for new home construction or for substantial housing modifications that help eligible veterans function independently in their own homes. The maximum grant, currently $50,000, is available to veterans who have a permanent and total disability (blindness or loss of limbs) as a result of military service.

The Special Home Adaptation (SHA) Grant can be used for any home improvement that can help veterans with service-connected disabilities increase mobility throughout their existing homes. Maximum grants are currently $10,000 and are available to veterans who have permanent and total disability (blindness or loss of limbs) as a result of military service.

A qualified veteran can receive both an HISA grant and either an SAH or SHA grant. To apply for the HISA grant, you should complete VA Form 10-0103 and send it to your local VA medical center. To apply for an SAH or SHA grant, complete VA Form 26-4555 and send it to your VA regional office.

For more information or a mailed application, visit http://www.homeloans.va.gov/sah.htm or contact your local VA Regional Office at 1-800-827-1000.

These grants are a bit complex. For more detailed information, the Federal Grantswire website has a very good overview of SHA and SAH Grants. 

·  Why You Need Proof of Military Service Now
·  VA Financial Assistance for Home Accessibility Improvements
·  The First Thing You Need For Veteran Benefits
·  Blind Veteran Services