Home | Text Size | Search | Member Area
 Alzheimers Disease
 Assessment Tools
 Assisted Living
 At Home Care
 Caregiver Support
 Continuing Care
 Day Care
 Death & Funerals
 Drugs & Medications
 Featured Articles
 Featured Resources
 Financial Facts
 Legal Issues
 Moving & Relocation
 Nursing Homes
 Odds & Ends
 Social Security
 Tools, Logs & Forms
 Veterans' Benefits

 Other Sites We Like
 Senior Corner Store
 Text Size
Subscribe to our RSS Feed
 About this Site
 About This Site
 Contact Us
 Privacy Policy
home | Medicaid | What Do You Need For a Medicaid Appl . . .

What Do You Need For a Medicaid Application?

Printer-Friendly Format

Many caregivers know that they will one day be making application for Medicaid financial assistance on behalf of a senior. While everyone knows that there will be application forms to complete when the time comes, few know what supporting documents must be submitted with the completed application.

Many of these documents will not be readily available when Medicaid application time arrives. Once the time to apply has arrived, caregivers find themselves under pressure to get the paperwork in. Having some time to collect the necessary supplemental documents in advance is a blessing.

Here's a list of the most commonly required documents. Because Medicaid is administered by the various States, there may be additional documents required for your jurisdiction. These are the most commonly and universally required:

  • Photo identification card;

  • United States birth certificate, or if foreign-born, proof of citizenship or legal residence (passport, naturalization document, "green card," voter registration card, alien registration);

  • Social Security card;

  • Medicare card, supplemental insurance cards, other health insurance cards if applicable;

  • Marriage certificate, divorce papers, or spouse' death certificate if applicable;

  • Veteran discharge document for applicant and/or spouse;

  • Copies of all Guardianship or Power of Attorney documents;

  • Residency verification showing county of residence: Rent receipt, lease;

  • Documentation of the source of all income including Social Security, pensions, IRA distributions, interest, royalties;

  • Documentation of all financial resources for the previous five years, both open and closed accounts: Checking account statements, bank passbooks, savings account statements, money market accounts, CDs, IRAs, mutual funds, stocks, bonds, etc.;

  • Documentation of spousal expenses if there will be a spouse remaining "in the community:" Mortgage or rent, food, utilities;

  • Copies of all unreimbursed medical expenses for the past 12 months: physician bills, hospital bills, medical equipment, prescriptions;

  • Income tax returns for the last five years;

  • For all real property sold or transferred during the lst 60 months (5 years), documentation of the value at the time of sale, copy of the deed, copies of sale documents;

  • For all owned property: copies of deeds, mortgage documents, reverse mortgage documents;

  • For income-producing property: copy of the lease or statement from the tenant to document amount of monthly/annual income. Documentation of property-related expenses such as taxes, insurance, utilities, maintenance;

  • All life insurance policies with letters documenting current cash value;

  • For all annuities: copies of each contract, monthly statements for at least the past 5 years;

  • Copy of irrevocable funeral plan contract;

  • Copy of burial plot deed;

  • Copies of all trust agreements;

  • Signed statement from a bank officer listing all contents of all safety deposit boxes;

  • Copy of title or registration for all automobiles, motorcycles, campers, boats, etc. If applicant owns more than one car, current value of all automobiles;

This is a formidable list, and not one you want to have to tackle when you're pressed for time. If some of these documents are not handy, it may take a while to get them from the source. So the earlier you start getting these things together, the better.

Almost no one will have all of these documents, because some won't apply. And, of course, this list is always subject to change. Your individual state Medicaid office will have the most current list of the documents they require.

If you can't find them, copies of birth certificates, marriage certificates, and death certificates can be obtained from your state Vital Statistics office.

·  Why "Medicaid Pending" Can Mean Trouble When You Need a Nursing Home
·  Medicaid Spousal Impoverishment Rules: Protection From Nursing Home Costs For the Husband or Wife Staying at Home
·  Medicaid Pays Some Families to Give Care
·  What is "Spending Down" for Medicaid?